Tuesday, February 7, 2012

First-Time Mama

"Becoming a mom is a huge life transition - one of constant surprises, joy, anxiety, sacrifices, and also tremendous rewards." - Dr. Kevin Leman



Today is February 7. On January 7, Claire was born. Life is drastically different (duh, right!)... as little monkey face snoozes in the motorized swing beside me, I'm glad for a moment to reflect on her life - and our life - so far.

Constant surprises: Claire is changing right before our eyes. Suddenly, she feels heavier and has rounder cheeks. She is more alert. She is awake for a longer portion of each morning. She can lift her head higher. She is beginning to sleep longer (fingers crossed!)

Joy: Claire can break our hearts with scowling cries (at 2 in the morning, ah hem) and then make us laugh in the same moment with one of her goofy facial expressions.

Anxiety: I've second-guessed and doubted myself all through month-one of Claire's life. I've changed my "strategy" on caring for her several times, sometimes within the same day. Last week, I almost spazzed out when she began to whimper in the grocery...

Sacrifices: SLEEP

Tremendous rewards: I would say tremendous gifts, rather than rewards. I didn't do anything to deserve a reward like Claire. She's a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment